Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

If you can't afford to pay

You may ask the court to reduce the amount you owe if you can't afford to pay your traffic ticket.

Financial Hardship

    You can ask the court for a reduced fine, for more time to pay, and for a payment plan, or for any combination of the above. 

    As part of your request, you must show proof that you do not have the financial means to pay your fine. You may ask the court to consider your ability to pay at any point in the process, but you must enter a plea of guilty or no contest before the court can give you an answer.

    The easiest way to request a fine reduction is to use the court’s new online request tool (recommended). The MyCitations online tool allows you to enter a plea and make an ability to pay requests on eligible infractions without going to court. In addition to requesting a reduction, you can request a payment plan and/or more time to pay. If your case is currently in collections and you cannot afford to pay your debt, you may still use this online tool (MyCitations). 

    Note: Although offered in other counties, Tuolumne County Superior Court does not offer the option of community service. 

    The other way to request a fine reduction is to use the form TR-320/CR320  - Can't Afford to Pay Fine: Traffic and Other Infractions. This is also the form you would use if requesting a fine reduction when applying for traffic school. Please contact the clerk’s office for more information about using the form or for more information regarding requesting traffic school at the same time as requesting a fine reduction. 

    Please note that if you do not act by the date on your citation and reminder notice, the court may add an additional fee of up to $100. If you cannot afford the fine amount, you can request a reduction to the amount you owe at any time while the fines remain unpaid.

    If you are experiencing financial hardship and you use the online tool to request a reduction, you may also use the online tool to ask the court to set up a payment plan, ask for an extension of time to pay what you owe. Payment plans will be approved for no more than $25 per month if you are approved for an ability-to-pay request.

    Fines and fees owed from a misdemeanor or felony offense are not eligible to request a reduction.

    Do not use the online tool if you want to:

    1. Contest the citation
    2. Attend traffic school
    3. Get a dismissal or reduction of charges with proof of correction

    Was this helpful?

    This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.