Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Name Change

Name Change

Name changes are processed in the Civil Division. In order to get a court order changing your name or a child’s name, you must file a petition in the Superior Court in the county where you live.

After you file your petition to change the name, you will get a court hearing. Before your hearing, you will have to put a notice in a court-approved newspaper for four weeks in a row, one day per week.

If you are trying to change the name of your child, you will also have to let the other parent know so that he or she has a chance to come to court if he or she doesn’t agree. If both parents agree, they both can sign the petition to change their child’s name.

When you get the court order, you can use the order to change the name on a birth certificate, passport, social security card, driver’s license, and other documents.

Forms and Instructions

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.